stripes

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Aunt Louise

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and I want to dedicate this blog post in loving memory of my Aunt Louise, who lost her battle with breast cancer over a year ago.  She is one of my heroes because of what she stood for.  Aunt Louise wasn't dealt an easy hand in life.  An accident left her paralyzed from the waist down when she was 18.  She successfully beat breast cancer once, only to have it return.  This was a woman who had plenty to complain about, yet I never once heard her complain.  She was one of the most selfless people I've ever met.  She loved her family dearly, counted her blessings daily, wrote amazing poetry, followed horse races, was an avid reader, and was brilliant.  Just being in the same room with Aunt Louise made me want to be a better person.  I tend to whine when things aren't going my way, but I'll think twice the next time I want to complain about something trivial, because that's not something Aunt Louise would have done.  Instead, she embraced new challenges with a smile on her face and a fierce determination to defy all odds.  I know Aunt Louise is in Heaven smiling down on the world.  Thanks, Aunt Louise, for being an amazing role model.  I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment