stripes

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Christmas in September!!

Just when I thought my job couldn't get any better, I discovered I was wrong.  I received the best package in the mail today--23 BRAND NEW BOOKS from my first library book order.  I'm pretty sure I squealed a couple times when pulling out all the books. 

This moment was better than all my Christmas mornings combined.  23 new books for our library!!  New library books are somehow different from new books from a bookstore.  I think the pages are shinier and crisper on school library books--or at least on our new books.  I did what everyone else does when they pick up a brand new book: opened it up and smelled it!  I don't think I'll ever forget that chemical smell--the smell of a new library book.

I didn't get to browse the books long because I had a class to work with.  After that, I sat down on the floor and read 3 of the books:  Silverlicious by Victoria Kann, Scaredy Squirrel has a Birthday Party by Melanie Watt, and I Broke My Trunk (an Elephant and Piggie book) by Mo Willems.  I laughed out loud several times.  Yep, I felt like a kid in a candy store.  Throughout the day, I read more of the books.  Any time students came into the library, I LOUDLY announced, "Hey friends, we got NEW books in today!!!!"  I proceeded to point out the display of books and could only smile as I watched the excitement on students' faces.

Side bar:  You know that whole "you have to be quiet in the library" rule?  Who came up with that rule anyway?!?  Probably some grown up who needed to enjoy life a little more.  Libraries are supposed to be social environments.  How can this happen when people walk around saying "Shh!!" all day?  Our library is the antithesis of quiet.  Walk in and you'll hear students discussing books with each other, sharing book ideas with the adults in the library, working together on projects, and helping each other find books.  Add a little glitter all over the carpet and you have the happiest place in the school!

Today was one of those moments that was too exciting not to share.  I wish everyone could have the experience of opening a box of brand new library books and squealing with delight!  If not, you get the next best thing--my description of the moment in this blog.

Side bar #2: Many people will tell you that educators should have blogs for a variety of reasons.  Steve Wheeler's blog offers the best list of 7 reasons why educators should blog.  This blog wasn't started for educational purposes--I just wanted a way to share the random thoughts on my mind.  I have no audience in mind when writing this, although I know my mom reads every post (Hi Mama!!!!!).  There are 10 people who subscribe to this blog.  If nothing else, hopefully I've given people something to think about in at least one of my blog posts.

Go curl up with a good book and read!  More new books I got to read today include Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator by Mo Willems, Ish by Peter H. Reynolds, and Those Darn Squirrels! by Adam Rubin. I have one more book order on it's way, and look forward to reading the biographies of Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Jaden Smith, and Michael Jackson.  Oh, and the book about Okapis (requested by a student).  I really do have the BEST JOB EVER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment